Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Seven-Eleven Dim Sum is not real Dim Sum

Since most of the traditional food come with at least one Chinese Myth story, I am going to talk about another kind of traditional Chinese food, which called Dim Sum. Now a day, due to the convenience of this busy society, we can just go to seven-eleven grab a package of “Dim Sum”, and walk to the convenient microwave and heat up the package, that’s how people have Dim Sum anytime they want. In the traditional Chinese family, we gather relatives to sit at a restaurant, enjoy some hot tea, and order Dim Sums from the carts, which waitresses would push around the restaurant. During Chinese New Year, families get up so early, which would be around five a.m., and gather families to a familiar restaurant and sit down. They start to ask about their plan for the year, and what they had accomplished the past year. Eating Dim Sum was the best memory in my childhood, because I had fun with relatives that I had not seen in a long time. And my favorite Dim Sum is Siu Mai, I love to sit with my family and eat with them in the restaurants. Last week, my roommates asked me if I want some Dim Sum, I was so excited about the Dim Sums, because I had not went home for the past month, did not have a chance to enjoy my time sitting at a restaurant to eat Dim Sum. They took me to an Asian Super Market, and walked to the refrigerator and took out a bag of Siu Mai (one type of Dim Sum). Disappointed face showed up on my face, this totally not what I was craving for the past week. Dim Sum had become the competition of fast food restaurants, because they are no long “Dim Sum”, because Dim Sum does not have the same meaning from my childhood. I am totally disagreed with seven-eleven Dim Sum real Dim Sums. I enjoy Dim Sum with family sitting at a restaurant and encourage people to spend time with their families instead of eating Dim Sums from seven-eleven or any Asian super market.

Dim Sum Imagines
http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/05/04/d8/dim-sum.jpg
http://www.empresspavilion.com/images/dim_sum.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment